[pulseaudio-discuss] Jack detection - Client API for UIs

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Mon Nov 14 02:22:05 PST 2011

On 11/11/2011 03:08 PM, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 11/11/2011 12:17 AM, David Henningsson wrote:
>> Do you think we can merge these different views and come up with an
>> agreed client API within a couple of days?
>
> Ok, so I can happily say that we had a great IRC conversation on the
> topic today. The outcome was:
>
> * Not to register port objects with the core (for the time being)
>
> * Not to add "inactive" sinks/sources to the client API (for the time
> being)
>
> * When port availability changes, fire a subscription event for the card.
>
> * I'm not sure we got consensus on if/when the sink/source should also
> get a subscription event, but that can be discussed later.
>
> * To change the existing proposal's "is_input" and "is_output" to a
> bitfield. Thus the new client API proposal is now attached. I'll start
> working on implementing this next week unless I hear massive complaints.
>
> One detail though: should the enums be declared as is (e g
> "pa_direction_t direction;") or as ints ("int direction;")? I remember
> someone saying enums were more likely to change size than ints.

In line with the client API proposal, here's the matching protocol proposal.

Any objections?

## v25, implemented by >= 2.0

When port availability changes, send a subscription event for the
owning card.

## v26, implemented by >= 2.0

In reply from PA_COMMAND_GET_CARD_INFO (and thus
PA_COMMAND_GET_CARD_INFO_LIST), the following is added:

     uint32_t n_ports

...followed by n_ports extended port entries, which look like this:

     string name
     string description
     uint32_t priority
     uint32_t available
     uint8_t direction
     uint32_t n_profiles
     string profile_name_1
     string profile_name_n

Profile names must match earlier sent profile names for the same card.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic