[pulseaudio-discuss] pavu control in the system tray

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Nov 19 07:34:20 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and "Bearcat M. Şandor" at 19/11/11 05:36 did gyre and
gimble:
> I don't use the gnome environment (Awesome wm here).  Is there a way to
> get the pulse audio volume control into the system tray for convenience?

There was a patch for this but I rejected it as pavucontrol is not the
kind of app you want to be running all the time (it could in theory be
modified to turn off all it's monitoring etc. when in the tray but it's
more hassle than any of us here had time to do, especially as there are
various integrations into the various DEs which fit in natively rather
than use pavucontrol (which we freely admit is a pretty ugly UI and very
much seen as a tool that exposes functionality first, and demotes
working nicely and intuitively to second!)

What mixer application does the awesome environment offer? Should it not
really be from the awesome side that a mixer app and tray integration is
done to get proper and seamless integration?

Personally I just have a launcher for pavucontrol that I just hit
whenever it's needed.

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/