[pulseaudio-discuss] System freeze

dirkydirk dirkydirk at gmx.net
Tue Nov 22 01:47:16 PST 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-19 at 15:38 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and dirkydirk at 19/11/11 13:13 did gyre and gimble:

> >> Did you try with a different sound card?
> >
> > Have no other card available. PA volume control shows three output
> > devices: the SB card, onboard sound, and some HDMI audio from the
> > graphics card. As I understand, pa sends audio to all of these devices
> > in parallel, doesn't it? Or is it possible to deactivate specific
> > devices (other that to just mute them, which I tried with no
> > improvement).
>
> No, PA will only send audio to the device you want. We do have a
> "combine" module that creates a virtual device that then outputs to all
> the others, but this is very much an option.
>
> You can disable devices using pavucontrol or the Gnome and KDE tools.
> With pavucontrol see the "Configuration" tab. Each card should have a
> profile selection dialog, you can turn the unneeded cards to the "Off"
> profile to ignore them and the devices should disappear.
>
> >> Sure. Just use the 'alsasink' component, and temporarily disable
> >> pulseaudio by prefixing the command with 'pasuspender'.
> >
> > With "gstreamer-properties" UI I selected alsa, but where do I find the
> > setting to be 'pasuspender'ed?
>
> Just run whatever program you are testing with "pasuspender -- myapp"
> rather than just "myapp". This suspends PA until the application exits.
>
> That said, unless you pick a very specific alsasink device, it will
> likely use the "default" alsa device which is, in turn, likely to be
> routed to PA!

I see. How is it possible to determine reliably whether gstreamer uses
alsa or pa? Currently, I'm lookung at pavucontrol's applications tab
where rhythmbox is listet just as "rhythmbox", whereas flash is listed
as "alsa-plugin". I would suspect that rhythmbox would switch to
"alsa-plugin" too if gstreamer uses alsa. Is that right? In the
gstreamer-properties UI I selected a specific device (instead of
"default"), but rhythmbox still is listed as "rhythmbox"...

Well, it seems I'm running out of luck with the lockup. Some tutorials
mentioned kernel special keys (Alt+SysRq), and I even set up netconsole
to log kernel messages on a separate computer. Alas, no kernel messages
or oopses, no keypresses possible, have to hard-reset the machine.

What kind of process or environment is able to shoot the system that far
into the abyss? We're talking about Linux, after all... ;)

Anyways, thanks to both of you for your help and giving me some insights
into PulseAudio.

Dirk