[pulseaudio-discuss] RFC: Routing and Priority lists

Janos Kovacs jankovac503 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 13:14:02 PST 2011

Hi,

so far we were talking of the simpler routing scenarios. So let's shift to
the next gear and discuss the more challenging setup's.

In some cases we might have multiple zones, e.g a desktop PC
were in one room and a stereo amplifier would be in another
connected via  S/PDIF.  Say you want to do the usual stuff and
see youtube videos in one room, while playing out music to the
other room.

Let's forget for a moment about that there is no profile with dual sink
and focus on the possible routing issues.

How would our media role based routing work? Both streams
media role would be 'music' so it could not be used to select the
sink.

One option would be to add a property to the streams what would
tell the 'zone'. The lack of property would default to a certain zone.
That would be a natural thing from the application perspective but
would break the currently proposed routing infrastructure.

The other option would be to follow the bad example of profiles
and have media roles like 'music' , 'music-in-zone2' etc. This
thing would work with the proposed routing infrastructure but ...

So any thoughts on this?

We might need this for IVI scenarios, when different movies
watched on the backseat of a car.

-janos-