[pulseaudio-discuss] RFC: Routing and Priority lists

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Tue Nov 29 10:53:21 PST 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 09:22 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Janos Kovacs at 28/11/11 14:52 did gyre and gimble:
> > However, what hook could be used to compose the 'media.role-zone'
> > property? In the proposal (ie. the patches) the routing is done before
> > PA_CORE_HOOK_SINK_INPUT_NEW is called, so I guess that cannot
> > be used.
>

> Yeah I think I mentioned this chicken+egg on the wiki (or if I didn't I
> had it in my head and *meant* to mention it!).
>
> The problem is currently that module-stream-restore happens during
> PA_CORE_HOOK_SINK_INPUT_NEW and as a result may assign a sink to a
> stream which would mean that we wouldn't do the routing (i.e. for the
> same reason that we wouldn't want to do any routing if they caller
> specified a specific device to use when they connected their stream).
>
> But this can be changed, and if we remove (or disable-by-default) the
> restore-device part of module-stream-restore then the routing can happen
> after PA_CORE_HOOK_SINK_INPUT_NEW hook and thus the property can be written.

I'm not sure I understood your plan. Do you intend to change the ROUTE
hook firing to happen after NEW? And since module-stream-restore would
in this case interfere with modules that do priority list routing, you'd
disable the routing part of module-stream-restore by default? I guess
that could work.

What's the default routing module going to be, if the routing part of
module-stream-restore gets disabled? Do you plan to write something from
scratch?

What about other modules that affect routing in the NEW hook? Do they
pose a similar problem as module-stream-restore? If so, are they going
to be disabled also by default? If so, what's going to replace them?