[pulseaudio-discuss] Configuring alsa mixers in the "off" profile.

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Mon Oct 3 12:13:29 PDT 2011

On 10/03/2011 06:12 PM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some hardware that needs some mixer configuration when selecting
> the "off" profile for the alsa card in order to save power. Now that I
> think about it, I'm not sure why the driver can't turn off the power
> when nobody's using the device... I'll have to ask from the driver
> developer.
>
> Anyway, if we assume that there's a valid reason for keeping the device
> powered whenever the mixer element isn't in the "Off" position, how
> should we handle this in Pulseaudio? My suggestion is to add an "off
> path" to profile sets. That is, the profile set configuration file would
> have an option in the [General] section called "off-path", which would
> have a path name as its value. Whenever the "off" profile is activated,
> the "off path" is activated too.
>
> Does that sound ok?

Just as an alternative, without having thought through which one is
better, what if this is deduced by the paths?

E g, when switching from path A to path B, that would mute everything
not specified in path B. Switching to the "Off" profile would then
implicitly mute everything. Would that be reasonable?

As a side note, you seem to do more of the embedded side of things. What
is your take on UCM and would using that solve / pose a third solution
to this problem in this case?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic