[pulseaudio-discuss] Optimize PA for mobile usage

Andreas Bauer ab at voltage.de
Fri Oct 7 08:03:34 PDT 2011

Hello everyone,

First a big thank you for a quality piece of software. I am a first time user and am amazed at the flexiblity that PA provides. I installed PA because I wanted to have better integration of my Bluetooth headset and works perfectly.

Running Debian Squeeze (stable) with Kernel 3.0.1

Now I have three issues which I hope someone can point me to a possible solution.

On my Lenovo X201 laptop with Intel HDA I do see a heavy increase in power consumption when I activate pulseaudio. The system is already optimised so without pulseaudio it will idle at 6-9W with wifi on, with pulseaudio started it will jump to 13W. No pulseaudio client connected (no sound played)

Averaged battery reading every 5s

1267000
1311000
1330000
1347000 <- here pa-suspender is started
1192000
1091000
986000
952000
943000
988000
970000
943000

I have already optimised the PA setup for my needs (e.g. low quality resampling-method), so I investigated further: