[pulseaudio-discuss] Cannot get sound with latest macmini

John Frankish j-frankish at slb.com
Sat Oct 8 01:26:49 PDT 2011

Some more details on this and the output of pulseaudio -vv attached.

As per the manual, the audio out port in the mac mini can "connect headphones, external powered speakers or digital audio equipment. This port also supports input and mics on devices such as headphones with microphones"

I'm guessing there's some means to switch between input and output for this port or switch it on and off somehow, but at the moment I cannot get sound on powered speakers or headphones from this port.

Taking selected items from the pulseaudio -vv output:

D: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Probe of element 'Line HP Swap' succeeded (volume=0, switch=0, enumeration=0).
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Probe of element 'Headphone' succeeded (volume=3, switch=1, enumeration=0).
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Probe of element 'Headphone2' succeeded (volume=0, switch=0, enumeration=0).

'Line HP Swap' sounds like something that could help, but how to access it (it does not appear in alsamixer)?