[pulseaudio-discuss] Re: Optimize PA for mobile usage

Andreas Bauer ab at voltage.de
Sat Oct 8 08:22:52 PDT 2011

> > This is already setup and works fine indeed for everything but this one
> application. It will not allow free text entry of an ALSA device, but will
> instead present only devices listed in /proc/asound/pcm ("real" hardware
> devices).
> >
> > I don't care how dirty the workaround is ;) as long as it works reliably to
> connect this application to PA.
>
> You could write a small library that overrides snd_pcm_open and forces
> using the default device. You'd then launch your legacy program with
> this library in LD_PRELOAD. (hey, you said you don't care how dirty the
> workaround is! :))

That is kind of what I was thinking about when I mentioned dirty ;)

Or somehow create a "fake" ALSA hardware device that redirects to pcm.pulse?

So I hope someones pipes in who has already done similar stuff. I would probably spent quite some hours until I manage to write that, altough on first glance it should be similar to what padsp does, no?

Andreas