[pulseaudio-discuss] Buffering attributes with variable format

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Oct 10 11:07:42 PDT 2011

Le lundi 10 octobre 2011 20:44:58 Pierre-Louis Bossart, vous avez écrit :
> > Yeah? I never said there were formats with variable bit rate. I said I
> > don't
> > know the format, hence the bit rate, until after the buffer attributes
> > have
> > already been transmitted.
>
> If you know the sampling frequency and the number of channels, you know the
> bitrate for PCM and all IEC formats. It's the same...

That's the whole point! Do you even read the emails before you press the reply
button? If you use *_FIX_* flags on a record stream, or if provide multiple
format_info in a playback stream, you DON'T know the sample rate, the number
of channels and/or the sample format (thus the bits per frame).

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/