[pulseaudio-discuss] Optimize PA for mobile usage

Andreas Bauer ab at voltage.de
Mon Oct 10 14:27:25 PDT 2011

> On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 07:21:44PM +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:
>
> > I am not sure. 4 W power consumption of a sound chip sounds quite a lot
> > to me. Additionally as written above please try a newer version.
>
> That's many orders of magnitude more than is sane unless there's very
> loud sound coming out of the speakers.  Something beyond the audio
> specific hardware must be impacting the numbers.

The numbers are read from the battery chip (/sys/class/power/BAT0/power_now) and are rougly matching with the runtime observed. Maybe they are a little optimistic.

But I think the numbers have to be seen in context. 6-9W in idle is not bad for a performance oriented notebook, but I also have used all "stable" power saving tweaks that I am aware of.

So if playing audio will wake up the sound chip, power the speakers, wake up the bus from power saving mode, ..., that might seam realisitc. I don't know enough about modern harware in that regard.

regards,

Andreas