[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems starting without X11 (git master)

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at digia.com
Wed Oct 12 02:23:44 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 08:32 +0300, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 08:11 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 07:55 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > > It would be nice if also the non-X11 sessions would set up the session
> > > bus already at login time, but I guess we can't rely on that. I'd expect
> > > the user bus work to solve this problem eventually, but until that
> > > becomes ubiquitous, I think putting module-dbus-protocol inside
> > > a .nofail section would be the best workaround.
> >
> > Hmm... that won't be sufficient. Also probably not necessary - I don't
> > think module-dbus-protocol accesses the session bus at all. I noticed
> > now that the thing that is failing is not module-dbus-protocol but the
> > server lookup thingy, which is part of main().
> >
> > The fix in this case is either fixing the server discovery logic, ie.
> > getting rid of the server lookup thingy in main() and replacing it with
> > a better solution, or just changing the error handling so that if
> > setting up the server lookup service fails, it won't bring down the
> > whole daemon.
>
> Pulled your fix for this to master. My only concern for pushing to
> stable-1.x is how we'd deal with the session bus coming up after PA. I
> believe this was discussed on IRC -- was there a conclusion?

I don't have any recollection of such discussion. If the session bus
starts after PA, then you'll lose the ability to use the the dbus server
discovery API (this makes it hard to use the dbus protocol), and the
ability to track the server existence on the session bus. For the
former, the solution is to remove the server discovery service from the
pulseaudio daemon, and make it a library and maybe also a small
standalone dbus service (and possibly also a binary that can be called
directly). For the latter, I'm not sure it's a huge problem that the
server isn't visible in the session bus in the rare(?) cases where the
session bus is launched after pulseaudio. I don't even know what is the
point of the server tracking in the session bus, but I know that
libpulse uses it for something. I believe that that something isn't
terribly important.