[pulseaudio-discuss] Removing components from PulseAudio

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 11:46:54 PDT 2011

2011/10/13 Alam, Nahid M <nahid.m.alam at intel.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Pulseaudio0.9.22 . Would like to check the performance impact if
> I remove some of the components/modules from Pulseaudio.

What kind of performance problems are you seeing?
There's no sense in doing all kinds of stuff to improve performance if
you don't have a way to measure it.

> Like OSS sink/source or RTP sink/source etc.

PulseAudio is already very modular. This means that if you don't load
these modules, there will be no performance penalty. IIRC OSS and RTP
modules are not activated in the default default.pa config file.

> If I just make sure the AM_CFLAGS doesn’t include those module in
> pulseaudio-0.9.22/src/makefile.am is that enough? Or is there anything else
> needed?

AM_CFLAGS has nothing to do with this. Please., if you don't
understand stuff, don't try to tinker with it.

Don't do this at the Makefile.am level, do it at configure time. For
OSS you can pass --disable-oss-output. RTP cannot be disabled, but as
I said earlier, you only pay for it when actually using the module
(and 2 secs extra compile time, I guess).

> Best
>
> Nahid

Maarten