[pulseaudio-discuss] alsa ucm in pulseaudio

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Oct 13 23:35:10 PDT 2011

On 10/14/2011 04:47 AM, Feng Wei wrote:
> Hi Liam, Mark, Colin, and all,
>    I study the codes in pulseaudio and alsa ucm patch recently, and
> create a page of my study result. I appreciate your feedback. The page
> is at https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/Middleware/Multimedia/Specs/1111/AudioIntegration/UCMPulseAudio/Analyzation.
>    Also if needed, I'm glad to contribute to the integration of alsa
> ucm in pulseaudio.
>    Thank you.

Oh, nice diagrams :-) Some of them might be useful additions to the
PulseAudio wiki.

I think the modelling of UCM concepts onto PulseAudio concepts is an
important discussion. In PulseAudio, profiles are mainly connected to
device strings, how to open the devices, channels supported, whereas
ports are just alsa mixer kcontrol changes. UCM verbs, as I understand
it, contain both.

In this context, I have a question: Can more than verb be active at a
time for a specific card (e g can both "hifi" and "record" be active for
the panda), and if so, how is it described in UCM what verbs that can
coexist and which ones are mutually exclusive? I believe PulseAudio is
going to need that information in order to be able to know how to create
its profiles.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic