[pulseaudio-discuss] Audio routing policy

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Fri Oct 14 16:52:18 PDT 2011

> From the discussions it seems that many other people tries to solve
> the same problem. We, who made the MeeGo policy framework, concluded
> that we need to either upstream our stuff or use/adopt the work that
> is in progress.

This is excellent news!

> The policy decision point would send profile changes for the detected
> cards (needed to route between BT A2DP and SCO for instance) as well
> as it would send for each media role a priorized UCM device target
> list. This list in turn would be used by the device manager to route
> the streams (i.e. sink-inputs and source-outputs) to the right
> sink/source.

My main comment is that we want to avoid designing a routing scheme that
implies there's only one sink/source at a time. I can see a number of
applications (car, set-top box, multimedia PC) where you would want to have
two 'zones', eg play the movie soundtrack or game sounds+alerts on hdmi
while using Bluetooth HSP for VoIP calls.
-Pierre