[pulseaudio-discuss] Optimize PA for mobile usage

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Oct 17 02:40:59 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Tanu Kaskinen at 08/10/11 00:00 did gyre and gimble:
> On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 17:03 +0200, Andreas Bauer wrote:
>> Second issue: I have one application (Zoiper) which can only access
>> ALSA at the moment (because it will not allow me to input non-hardware
>> ALSA device names like pcm.pulse). Is there some hack/workaround to
>> get such applications to talk to pulseaudio?
>
> Do you know what device strings Zoiper uses? Does it provide any
> configurability? If it uses the device called "default", then things
> work fine if you configure the "default" device to be the pulse plugin.
> If it insists on using the hardware directly, for example "hw:0", then
> you're out of luck - Zoiper is buggy and I don't think there's a
> workaround for that.

One option is to try and add a hint to the setup for the alsa pulse plugin.

I've seen some apps that only show devices where a hint is available and
perhaps this is why is wrong with zoiper?

I've recently added files to upstream alsa-plugins which do this by default:

http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-plugins.git;a=commit;h=84ce9d8230d19ebd67bc8db691bab74c4cbac979

Worth a shot, but it probably is a long one :)

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/