[pulseaudio-discuss] Screen casting with PulseAudio

Michał Sawicz michal at sawicz.net
Tue Oct 18 03:55:13 PDT 2011

Dnia 2011-10-18, wto o godzinie 12:26 +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont pisze:
> One regularly requested feature addition for VLC media player is the
> ability to record desktop audio in sync with screen capture.
> This is theoretically feasible with a PulseAudio sink monitor source.
> But but, I am a it puzzled as how to record the correct source. In
> this case, the default source is obviously inadequate, as it would
> typically be the microphone. In particular, what to do if there are
> more than one sink, and thus more than one monitor??

See http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/Modules and read about
module-null-sink and module-loopback. You can obviously only record from
one source (for screencasting - probably a monitor), but you can also
loop back any number of sources to the sink whose monitor you're
recording. That can be a null sink, too, so that you don't get feedback
through your speakers.

Obviously that's not relevant to VLC itself, it's through pactl/pacmd
(sorry) and pavucontrol that you need to select the appropriate
recording source.

Cheers,
--
Michał (Saviq) Sawicz <michal at sawicz.net>