[pulseaudio-discuss] Front panel (headphone) output not working

Lassi Väätämöinen lassi.vaatamoinen at tut.fi
Tue Oct 18 08:30:55 PDT 2011

Hi,

I have been playing around with the headphones output for a while now with
KDE, and I am unable to ger headphones properly output audio in KDE/openSUSE.
My problem is that connecting headphones to the front panel in normal case
mutes speaker (rear) output, but there is no output from the headphones. Also
the Analog Stereo output is shown going muted on Kmix (and alsamixer as well).

Phonon settings and 'pacmd list-sinks' shows only one output device: "Internal
Audio Analog stereo". List-sinks in addition shows:

        ports:
                analog-output: Analog Output (priority 9900)
                analog-output-headphones: Analog Headphones (priority 9000)

When connecting the headphones, the output port stays as "analog-output", and
with pacmd manually setting sink port to "analog-output-headphones" gives me
output to headphones, while keeping speaker output muted.

I've also been playing around with kmix and alsamixer, and in some "random"
cases after connecting headphones and muting/unmuting the Internal Analog
stereo or some channels related to "headphones" or " Independent HP" in
Alsamixer gives me output on both my speaker output and headphones.

I tried the same thing in Gnome env, and it lists the two outputs for the same
card, from which headphones can then be selected and speakers go muted, but
not automatically in that case either. However, having some sort of proper
behavior for this issue seems to be related to KDE/Phonon, am I right? (I have
also played around with the start-pulseaudio-kde -script and set
"do_routing=0" there, in order to get Skype sounds working, due to some
phonon/pulseaudio device ordering not working properly. But that should have
no effect here, I guess..)

In which level should the headphone switching be handled? Pulseaudio, Phonon
or or ALSA?

Additional info about my system:

Codec: VIA VT1708B 8-Ch

pactl 0.9.22