[pulseaudio-discuss] Why PA does not show me sinks for surround audio output?

Lin, Mengdong mengdong.lin at intel.com
Sun Oct 30 22:42:05 PDT 2011

The sound card on my desktop supports 5.1 sound output, but PA only show one sink for the 2-channel front speaker. Why? Is it mean that PA cannot support surround output by default?

The default sample channels and channel map are commented in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf:

;default-sample-channels =2

;default-channel-map= front-left,front-right

It seems the card has no profiles for surround output, by "pacmd list-cards":

profiles:

                   output:analog-stereo: Analog Stereo Output (priority 6000)

                   output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo: Analog Stereo Duplex (priority 6060)

                   input:analog-stereo: Analog Stereo Input (priority 60)

                   off: Off (priority 0)

Here is the playback device names I got by "aplay -L"

front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0

    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog

    Front speakers

surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0

    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog

surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0

    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog

surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0

    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog

surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0

    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog

surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0

    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog

7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speaker

Many thanks
Mengdong