[pulseaudio-discuss] RFC: Database formats on upgrade - auto-convert and save or just auto-convert

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Mon Sep 5 04:47:23 PDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-09-04 at 17:59 +0200, Maarten Bosmans wrote:
> > What do you think the best route forward here is?
> >
> >  1. Convert on the fly only.
> >  2. Convert on the fly and write to disk.
> >
> > Vote now!
>
> 2.
>
> I'm not too worried about preserving stored values either way
> actually. It's just user preferences, moreover, they are implicit
> preferences, only resulting from volume change or moving of a stream.
> In my opinion that's not so valuable as to make significant effort to
> protect it in some rather uncommon scenarios. (downgrading to pulse
> using previous db format or severe bug in db handling code)

Not good. There's a not-so-uncommon scenario which is the NFS-mounted
$HOME shared between desktops with differing versions (for instance,
where I work we have a mix of RHEL4, RHEL5 & RHEL6).

To correctly handle that situation, db formats should of course be
backward & forward compatible, but if it's not possible at least not
write to disk the new format if possible.

HTH,
	Xav