[pulseaudio-discuss] [pulseaudio-commits] src/pulsecore

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Sep 5 12:32:00 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 09:48 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 00:43 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > I think the volume should be set to PA_MIN(s->base_volume,
> > PA_VOLUME_NORM). The base volume can be higher than NORM in some cases,
> > which will cause software amplification if the code is left as it is
> > now.
>
> Ah, thanks -- I'll fix this up. Is base_volume > 0 dB a case that makes
> sense, or is it just something that we might come across with broken dB
> values?

By the way, what made you notice this problem in the first place? It
sounds strange that base_volume would somehow be a better volume for a
sink than PA_VOLUME_NORM when using passthrough. That's because if
base_volume does not equal PA_VOLUME_NORM, that means that hardware
volume with dB information is being used. I'd be surprised if on some
hardware there was an alsa volume element that would actually do
something useful in the passthrough mode.