[pulseaudio-discuss] Proposal for new media role: fmradio

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Tue Sep 13 10:28:01 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 21:27 +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> 13.09.2011 18:58, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I suggest a new media role to be added to the official list of roles:
> > "fmradio". It would be primarily useful for capture streams - I don't
> > know if it makes any sense for playback streams. The routing policy
> > could then route FM radio capture streams automatically to an FM radio
> > source.
> >
> > Any objections?
> >

> I object to the name. This would be the same device as used for analog
> TV sound capture, so we need to invent some name that suits both uses.

Do you mean that there are tuner cards that provide both fm radio audio
as well as analog tv audio, and therefore the recording applications
should use a role that covers both? If so, then I don't buy the
argument. The media role describes the application's intent, not the
device. The routing policy is free to route both "fmradio" and
"analogtv" streams to the same source.