[pulseaudio-discuss] audio source -> pa -> oggenc

Richard Henwood rjhenwood at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 17 09:06:43 PDT 2011

Hi All,

I've been playing at this for a while, and I would appreciate your help to get this working.

I have a signal generator:
http://introcs.cs.princeton.edu/java/stdlib/StdAudio.java

What I want to do is run StdAudio and make the output available in real-time via an ogg stream (targeted at the internet) for the duration of the run.

so, I'm doing the following:

# pactl load-module module-pipe-sink file=/tmp/drainpipe.out
# pacmd set-default-sink fifo_output

PROBLEM 1: when I do 'java StdAudio', I can hear the output from my sound-card and nothing comes out of /tmp/drainpipe.out

If I switch with the sound preferences in Gnome, the signal appears to head out on /tmp/drainpipe.out. If I hook up 'oggenc' on this I get something resembling what I would expect.

PROBLEM 2: the whole task ('java StdAudio' and 'oggenc') is over in a second or two. The duration of the 'sound' from StdAudio is ~10 seconds and what I'm aiming for is to drain audio from 'java StdAudio' at real-time, not as 'fast as possible.'

If you can overlook my imprecise use of terms (drain, signal etc) I would really appreciate help with this :)

Best regards,
Richard