[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio overwrites alsa settings

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Sep 18 14:49:16 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and orschiro at googlemail.com at 18/09/11 21:09 did gyre
and gimble:
> You guys were right. Obviously it is a problem of the current stable
> release. I tried the beta 0.99 and my internal mic volume is now
> greater than zero.
>
> However, now my mic channel is at zero which doesn't affect the
> recording though.

Yeah PA knows about the two different paths - Internal Mic and
[External] Mic. Whichever one is being used will be controlled by the
volume slider in PA mixers, and the one not in use is zero'ed out. So
this is the expected behaviour.

In the future, when an external mic is plugged in it'll automatically
activate. David is working on that now.

> But I still not understand how pulseaudio and alsa work together.
>
> For example, how can I make channel volume adjustments which are
> persistent and recognised by pulseaudio?
>
> Pavucontrol gives me not all the options.

pavucontrol can split the channels if there are more than one and let
you control each individually. Just press the "lock channels" button.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]