[pulseaudio-discuss] audio source -> pa -> oggenc

Richard Henwood rjhenwood at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 19 08:30:50 PDT 2011

--- On Sun, 18/9/11, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> From: Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>
<snip>

> > If I switch with the sound preferences in Gnome, the
> signal appears
> > to head out on /tmp/drainpipe.out. If I hook up
> 'oggenc' on this I
> > get something resembling what I would expect.
>
> I'm not really sure if this is a problem then?
>
> Add in a new sink does pretty much noting until you set
> some (or all)
> apps to use it, so using the Gnome sound prefs is what
> you're expected
> to do. Is this really problem 1?

Right - I think problem 1 is my lack of understanding - and you've resolved that now!

> > PROBLEM 2: the whole task ('java StdAudio' and
> 'oggenc') is over in a
<snip>

> Also note that if you are wanting to make this available to
> others, then
> using the Shoutcast system is a pretty easy way to do this.
> You can push
> straight to shoutcast via GST:
>
> gst-launch-0.10 pulsesrc
> device=alsa_output.pci_8086_27d8_alsa_playback_0.monitor !
> audioconvert
>  ! vorbisenc ! oggmux ! shout2send ip=SOMEIP port=8000
> password=hackme
> mount=stream.ogg

Col - this is exactly what i'm looking for - many thanks!
The weekend disappeared and I may not have a chance to work through your suggestions for a few more days - but thank for you guidance.

cheers,
Richard