[pulseaudio-discuss] Audio output on Bluetooth headset is choppy - PulseAudio at fault?

Mon Sep 19 23:48:36 PDT 2011

Hello.

Am 19.09.2011 17:43, schrieb Luiz Augusto von Dentz:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Alexander Skwar
> <alexanders.mailinglists+nospam at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Am 12.09.2011 10:51, schrieb Colin Guthrie:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and Alexander Skwar at 12/09/11 07:44 did gyre and gimble:

>>> Keep in mind that the alsa-bluetooth stuff has not has as much focus as
>>> PA bluetooth stuff in recent years, but yes, this seems like a valid test.
>> Understood. But if I take out one component (PulseAudio) and replace it
>> with another one (ALSA) and get the same results, then I think that this
>> is a quite strong indication, that this component wasn't involved, or
>> better: causing, in the error/problem at hand.
> Yet you did say your Android phone does work properly and that afaik
> is using Linux+BlueZ, now Android does not uses PA and perhaps the SBC
> parameters are different (iirc bitpool is 32 while PA uses 64 or the
> max the headset support) but more recent version of PA can adapt the
> bitpool (you would see in the logs) to try to avoid skipping due to
> low bandwidth. Btw, do you have anything else connected/using
> Bluetooth like a mouse?

I don't have anything else connected. I could pair my
Android phone and transferring files does work. There's
no error message shown in this case.

>> It doesn't matter, but I'm not using a builtin receiver, but a USB
>> connected dongle. And sadly I don't have another BT receiver available.
> Well it matter for us, different controller may have different
> behavior and we would be happy to make them work.

I cannot find a different controller. The one I personally
own is "brand new", bought like 2 weeks ago. The other
ones I got from colleagues are old (months and even
years).

They all have the same controller.

If you can provide me a different controller, I'm happy
to test :-)

>>> Oh it's quite simple to setup, just pair the device and provide you're
>>> using PA it just works....
>> Well… For interesting values of "it just works" ;)
> It works in Android and N900, which uses PA btw, so it should work for
> SUSE+KDE as well.

"should" ;)

>>> the problem is that that it doesn't always
>>> work well due to h/w support.
>> Yep.
>>
>>> This requires users to give feedback and
>>> run tests such that upstream folks can make it better for everyone!
>> Who's upstream now? Bluez? Sent a mail to linux-bluetooth mailing list
>> a few days ago, but haven't received any response so far.
> I probably missed that, but you got be patient sometimes we are just
> busy and cannot reply right away, as a matter of fact I have been busy
> implementing prioritization support (SO_PRIORITY) for Bluetooth
> sockets.

I can be patient. I've now got a Asus headset which uses
a USB dongle with some proprietary protocol and this works
just perfectly fine. But I'd still like to get the bluetooth combination
going.

>>http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.bluez.kernel/16334
>>
>>> Please don't give up, just have patience and try and get involved :)
>> I'm not a coder. Just a user :) Can't do much more than report bugs
>> or issues and supply details as I see them.
> Ok you can start by given us the name/model of the headset and

Done in my  post to the bluez mailinglist at
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.bluez.kernel/16334 ;)

I've got an Arctic P311 bluetooth
headset[1] and a Hama Nano-Bluetooth-USB-Adapter Version 3.0+EDR
Class1 dongle[2].

In "lsusb", the BT dongle is this:

Bus 001 Device 048: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth
Dongle (HCI mode)

You can find the "lsusb -v" output for this device on pastebin[3].

[1] Arctic P311 ->  http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/sound/headsets/35/p311.html
[2] Hama BT Dongle ->  http://x.co/Zaev  -->
http://www.hama.de/portal/articleId*28219728/action*2563/searchMode*1/bySearch*49238
[3] lsusb -v -d 0a12:0001 ->  http://pastebin.com/xzYSWB9w