[pulseaudio-discuss] Google ChromeOS reinventing the wheel, ignoring PulseAudio

Taylor Hutt thutt at google.com
Wed Sep 28 10:29:03 PDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:17 AM, Mark Brown <
broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:02:49AM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > 'Twas brillig, and Taylor Hutt at 27/09/11 21:56 did gyre and gimble:
> > > Hello folks,

<snip>

> > > Since we have decided not to use Pulse, prior to my time, it seemed
> > > prudent to continue with that decision.
>
> > I'll be blunt. This is a mistake. Revisit it. Do your own evaluation. We

That's not bad advice, but it's not always prudent.

In this case, I am part of a team working to make a shipping product, and
there are time constraints which
do not afford the time necessary to do that, _and_ to make forward progress
to get the sound system working
across a constantly increasing variety of hardware.

The door has not categorically closed on Pulse for all time, but it has
closed for the time being.
We've got a lot of work to get Chromium and Chromium OS to a point where
ship with the desired features, and
I don't presently have the time to re-investigate Pulse across our set of
hardware.

> > > As far as I understand it,
> > > Pulse also doesn't cope well with dynamic devices -- it's more suited
> > > a desktop system than to a system which will have devices dynamically
> > > inserted & removed.
>
> > This is a grave misunderstanding. PA copes *very* well with dynamic
> > devices. It's one of the key parts of what we do. Policy modules allow
>
> things to happen automatically (for example when I have a voip stream
>
> and I enable my bluetooth headset, a policy module kicks in and knows
> > that I want voip on bluetooth. This is all customisable, but at the end
> > of the day, this is very much a key part of the platform.

Can you explain how Pulse copes with devices that have not been seen before
and
for which no configuration has been written?

Does Pulse work with HDMI audio and video?

> > This is good news as it means you still have time to make the right
> > decision. I strongly suggest you take some time to read up a bit more
> > about PA and chat to us about it.

Point me to the definitive documentation, please.

thutt