[pulseaudio-discuss] Conception of PulseAudio in public through Debian

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Apr 14 12:03:34 PDT 2012

Dear PulseAudio and Debian folks,

I am aware that is not an upstream issues per se, but indirectly it is
as written above, so I hope it is alright to post this message here on
the list.

Although during the last years PulseAudio is doing its job pretty well,
there are still quite some people out there thinking it is a mess. And
indeed looking at the Debian bug tracking system [1] a lot of bugs are
reported there. There are 145 reports [2] most of them concerning
upstream things. Since for a long time, Debian did not package the
latest PulseAudio version, I guess a lot of them are fixed already.

Debian’s large user base experienced a lot of these problems and
therefore disabled PulseAudio and have not tried newer versions.

Are there any ideas how that situation could be improved? I guess a
dedicated maintainer for the PulseAudio Debian package would be useful.
Some Ubuntu developers and Sjoerd have done a great job already and at
least got new (great) working packages out.

If they had more time, they would already deal with the reports, so
since this is not the case, the question is, how we can solve that
situation. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=pulseaudio;dist=unstable