[pulseaudio-discuss] Sound Card Not Seen By PulseAudio (Intel HDAC C200)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 18 06:23:55 PDT 2012

Am Mittwoch, den 18.04.2012, 09:06 -0400 schrieb Adam Tauno Williams:
> On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 13:47 +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 18.04.2012, 06:56 -0400 schrieb Adam Tauno Williams:
> > > I have a Dell workstation that is running openSUSE 12.1 and GNOME3.  Via
> > > ALSA [directly] the audio card works but PulseAudio does not recognize
> > > any devices.  Under the hardware tab of the sound manager nothing is
> > > listed.
> > > Ideas, thoughts, recommendations?
> > > The kernel module snd_hda_intel and friends are loading automatically.
> > > Audio device -
> > > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
> > > Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
> > > Kernel 3.1.9-1.4-desktop
> > > pulseaudio-1.1-1.2.x86_64
> > I have no idea, but I guess the developers will need more information.
> > Please read for example the Wiki page »How to debug PulseAudio
> > problems« [1] in the Fedora Wiki.
>
> It appears that pulseaudio doesn't start [pulseaudio --check]
> automatically;

I guess this is a distribution problem. Please open a bug in openSUSE’s
bug tracker.

> but doing a pulseaudio -vvvvvv results in

Please turn off line wrapping for the pasted sections. In Evolution
choose preformatted instead of normal.

> bcreswel at pc02879:~> pulseaudio -vvvvv
> I: [pulseaudio] main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed:
> Operation not permitted
> I: [pulseaudio] main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed:
> Operation not permitted
> D: [pulseaudio] core-rtclock.c: Timer slack is set to 50 us.
> I: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Failed to acquire high-priority
> scheduling: Permission denied
> I: [pulseaudio] main.c: This is PulseAudio 1.1
> D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Compilation host: x86_64-suse-linux-gnu

[…]

I could not spot anything interesting. Hopefully others will.

> With pulseaudio running in the other gnome-terminal window a "pacmd ls"
> shows:
>
> Welcome to PulseAudio! Use "help" for usage information.
> Memory blocks allocated during the whole lifetime: 1, size: 63.9 KiB.
> Memory blocks imported from other processes: 0, size: 0 B.
> Memory blocks exported to other processes: 0, size: 0 B.
> Total sample cache size: 0 B.
> Default sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
> Default channel map: front-left,front-right
> Default sink name: auto_null
> Default source name: auto_null.monitor

[…]

> 0 card(s) available.
> 0 sink input(s) available.
> 0 source outputs(s) available.
> 0 cache entrie(s) available.

Strange.

> If I run "sudo pulseaudio --system" it doesn't complain about any
> "module-hal-detect" issues.

Searching for »hal« in your message does not give any hits. Where did
you see that error?

Additionally are cards detected when you start PA in system mode?

Thanks,

Paul