[pulseaudio-discuss] "hello, world" volume control

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sat Apr 21 04:25:18 PDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-04-21 at 05:27 -0300, Diogo F. S. Ramos wrote:
> I've attached a program in the end which accomplishes the task I was
> trying to do initially. Would you say it is the straight forward way to
> do it?

Yes. It leaks memory and can get stuck on some error conditions, but
it's definitely about as simple as you can get.

> Now I see libpulse is like GTK with regards of the main thread of the
> program. This imposes a little challenge to interactive programs.

How so? I can see how it imposes a little challenge for cases where
synchronous operations would be good enough, but I consider the
asynchronous operations to be mainly a good thing for interactivity (the
ui doesn't get stuck waiting for reply from the Pulseaudio daemon).

> Is that the reason pacmd an pactl use different strategies to interact
> with the server?

I don't know, I wasn't around when pacmd and its protocol was written.
For what it's worth, I'd like to get rid of pacmd and its protocol.