[pulseaudio-discuss] Virtual source

Geir Birkedal geir at sqhead.com
Fri Aug 10 05:38:56 PDT 2012

Hello,

I am writing a program that produces an audio signal and currently plays
it back using the simple API. This works fine.

My problem is, instead of playing the audio out, I want to pipe it to a
virtual input device, and use it as input to other applications.

- Can I do this programmatically using the simple or perhaps the
asynchronous API?
- I've seen a module called module-virtual-source. Can it be used for
this purpose? And if so, is there a way to use that in pulseaudio
version 0.9.21?
- Is there another way of accomplishing this with some clever use of
pacmd or pactl? I know it's possible to play to a null sink and use its
monitor, but I don't want to use a monitor for this.

I apologize if this is not the right forum for this kind of question,
and I'll happily take any advice to take my question elsewhere.

Thank you!
Geir Birkedal