[pulseaudio-discuss] How to decrease cpu usage?

Goldy goldy at goldenfish.info
Tue Aug 14 09:16:27 PDT 2012

Le 13/08/2012 19:40, Peter Meerwald a écrit :
> Hello,
>
>> At this point, on system wide running, pulseaudio uses 34% cpu when it
>> idles, when music is played, it uses 42%. It's a lot on the 700 mhz
>> raspberry pi cpu, I'm pretty sure there is a way to decrease it, but
>> documentation don't talk about this point.
>
> that sounds way too high...
> unfortunately, the Broadcom CPU does not support ARM NEON
>
> I found that the ARM assembler code does not improve performance on a
> Cortex-A8, maybe it also helps to disable on the Raspberry?
>
>> I don't use the raspberry internal sound card, I plugged a little usb
>> Terratec aureon sound card, it works very well excepted the cpu usage...
>
> would be interesting to find out where the CPU time is spent; in
> PulseAudio or somethere in the USB stack...
>
> do you have a chance to do some profiling? maybe you can get oprofile to
> work?
>
> regards, p.

Unfortunately, oprofile seems not to be working on raspberry... or I
didn't use it properly.

I followed the instructions here
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/Developer/OProfile
and I always get this :

> % sudo opreport -l /usr/bin/pulseaudio
> error: no sample files found: profile specification too strict ?

If you have any advice, it would be welcomed.

Thanks again

Christophe