[pulseaudio-discuss] How to decrease cpu usage?

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Tue Aug 14 21:29:37 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-14 at 20:49 -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> In profiling with oprofile on CuBox the code that is hogging cpu is the
> Speex resampler.

The original reporter had high cpu use also when pulseaudio was supposed
to be idle. Do you have the same problem?

> I am currently trying to figure out how to get pulseaudio open without
> triggering the resampler.  There are about 3 tests in pulseaudio which
> check for
> the need to resample.  If any of them evaluate as true, resampling kicks in.
>
> To avoid resampling:
>
> 1. you can't use variable sample rate
> 2. the channel maps have to match
> 3. the sample rate has to match

You can add "the sample format has to match" to the list, but sample
rate conversion is the expensive operation. I believe converting between
different channel maps and sample formats is trivial in comparison.