[pulseaudio-discuss] running in high priority

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Tue Aug 21 23:59:57 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 04:55 +0200, Sladjan Ri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it beneficial to run in high priority at all? I tested and found
> stuttering with the src-high-quality resampling, with nice level -11
> and CPU went up to 70% on one core (gnome-system-monitor).
> Without high-priority, it hadn't stuttered and CPU only went to about 40%.

I think we had some problems with the pulseaudio nice level in Maemo
too. I don't fully (or at all...) understand what causes the problems,
but it indeed looks like having a low nice level can actually make
performance worse.

If your system works better without the high-priority option, then feel
free not to use it.