[pulseaudio-discuss] gnome-shell hangs, waiting for pulse-audio

Henrik /KaarPoSoft henrik at kaarposoft.dk
Sun Dec 2 13:16:40 PST 2012

On 12/02/12 20:20, Henrik /KaarPoSoft wrote:
> On 12/02/12 05:49, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
>
>> Assuming that it is always the PLAY_SAMPLE message that hangs, then it
>> looks like the reply is received by the client. The last PLAY_SAMPLE
>> message has tag 9, and xsession-errors shows that some client receives
>> an error reply for tag 9 (an error is expected, because we found out
>> already earlier that there are always two PLAY_SAMPLE messages, of which
>> the latter one fails).

As you mention, we found out already earlier that there are always two
PLAY_SAMPLE messages, of which the latter one fails.

I think the failing message is a desktop-switch-* sound.

gnome-shell shows a vertical list of "workspaces" on the right in the
"activities" view. Initially there is one "workspace".
As soon as an application is started, a second "workspace" is created.
Now the vertical list of "workspaces" on the right in the "activities"
view shows two "workspaces": one with the new app and below that an
empty one.
When launching more apps, they are added to the top workspace.
When the last app in the top workspace is closed, gnome-shell seems to
destroy the workspace and make the bottom workspace the current and only
workspace.

So I created four distinct sound files in
/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/desktop-switch-{up,down,left,right}.oga.

Now I hear desktop-switch-right when GDM is started, and
desktop-switch-down when logging in.

Now the case that "always" failed before does not seem (tried 4 times)
to fail anymore:

open gnome-terminal, press backspace twice to get two beeps.
open firefox, play html5 video on youtube, close firefox.
close gnome-terminal (which is now last app on desktop).

Instead of freezing as before, I now hear the desktop-switch-down sound.

However, I *still* experience hangs; trying to find a case with is
reproducible.

One case I am working on is starting thunderbird as the only app, then
playing around with the workspaces; which hangs sometimes.
I guess thunderbird has a "new mail" sound (which I never hear) which is
not found in the sound theme...

Will revert back with more info when I find something I can reproduce...

/Henrik