[pulseaudio-discuss] gnome-shell hangs, waiting for pulse-audio

Henrik /KaarPoSoft henrik at kaarposoft.dk
Tue Dec 4 16:53:27 PST 2012

On 12/04/12 13:41, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> Does the patch really cause this, or is the difference because of the
> self-compiled libcanberra? That is, if you compile libcanberra without
> the patch, does it return to the old behavior?
I compiled libcaberra before *without* the patch, running with this for
several days.
Then I applied the patch and recompiled and installed.

I did not deliberately make any other changes, but if this really boils
down to a thread scheduling problem, I guess that "anything" may be the
culprit.

[...]
> Hmm, here's another idea: could you try marking the state field of
> pa_operation as volatile? The pa_operation struct is defined in
> src/pulse/internal.h. I expect that this won't help, but maybe the
> compiler is able to do more optimization magic than I think is
> possible... On a related note, the play_request_processed variable in
> my patch should have been marked as volatile too.
Will have a look at this later...

/Henrik