[pulseaudio-discuss] sink port unavailable even though it shouldn't be

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Fri Dec 7 06:34:57 PST 2012

On 12/07/2012 03:20 PM, Sven Köhler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have googled for a while and found nothing.
> My Realtek ALC262 does not seem to detect that something is plugged into
> the rear headphones connector. Sound is playing through the internal
> speaker (it's a deaktop PC) and the headphones. list-sinks shows the
> following:
>
>> 	ports:
>> 		analog-output-speaker: Speakers (priority 10000, available: unknown)
>> 			properties:
>>
>> 		analog-output-headphones: Analoge Kopfhörer (priority 9000, available: no)
>> 			properties:
>>
>> 	active port: <analog-output-speaker>
>

> When I set the active port to analog-output-headphones, everything works
> as it should. No sound through the internal speaker.
>
> But still, in gnome and elsewhere, the port is not listed. In fact, the
> port remains unavailable, even though I set it as the active port.
>
> So how can I configure pulseaudio, such that it always thinks that
> analog-output-headphones is always available? Or is that something that
> must be done at kernel driver level?

It's likely a kernel bug, but you can work around it by editing
/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-headphones and
commenting out the Jack section(s).

But let me ask you - do you have working automute, i e, that the
headphones cause the speaker to mute? If so the driver probably
recognises the plug event somehow...

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic