[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC v0 00/15] bluetooth: BlueZ 5 development patches

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun Dec 30 02:07:49 PST 2012

On Wed, 2012-12-19 at 13:58 +0100, Mikel Astiz wrote:
> From: Mikel Astiz <mikel.astiz at bmw-carit.de>
>
> These patches are *NOT* intended to be merged.

BlueZ 5 has been released, is this notice still valid?

> I submit them as work-in-progress, mainly to be able to test BlueZ and
> oFono during the 5.0 release development.
>
> The proposed approach is that bluetooth-util detects the version of
> BlueZ during runtime. Therefore, the modules should not see any
> difference.
>
> There's been some discussion whether an independent BlueZ-5-ready
> version of bluetooth-util should be started. My take on this is that
> the APIs are similar enough to keep one single bluetooth-util.
>
> The code gets a bit more ugly, but the alternative of splitting would
> introduce duplicated code and thus more maintenance work. So my
> proposal is: keep it merged while it's possible.

I agree with that. There would probably need to be some infrastructure
for having multiple separate "bluetooth backend" implementations, and
that infrastructure would become redundant once we drop the bluez 4
support (unless we have support for the new android bluetooth stack by
then...)