[pulseaudio-discuss] USB Headset not detected after suspend/resume

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Feb 29 06:06:34 PST 2012

Hi,

'Twas brillig, and Brandon Watkins at 28/02/12 19:50 did gyre and gimble:
> I've noticed an issue, where sometimes after resuming for suspend, the
> system will refuse to detect my usb headset. Right now I'm using gnome 3
> on arch linux, when this happens the headset does not show up in the
> sound settings output tab, the laptop speakers work fine.
> Unplugging/Replugging the headset does nothing.

… snip …

I suspect that this is a Heisenbug I've been watching (but only from a
special angle such that it doesn't notice me watching!) for a while now.

The problem is not that the USB device isn't detected properly (PA knows
fine well it's there), it's just that PA somehow loses it's connection
to the system dbus and cannot then reserve the device via the device
reservation protocol. The net result is that the sinks/sources for that
card (or any other USB card you plug in) disappear, so for all intent
purposes it's the same as not detecting it, but the cause (and thus the
solution) is quite different.

To test if I'm correct, can you do the following when you next get the
problem.

1. Open pavucontrol. You should not see any sinks for your device on the
"Output Devices" tab, but you *should* see the card listed on the
"Configuration" tab. Regardless of which profile you select it should
not show up under "Output Devices".

2. If you change the profile on the "Configuration" tab for your
"Internal Audio" card, it should also disappear and become just as
unusable as your USB card. Changing profiles will cause PA to attempt to
do the whole device reservation thing for your internal card and thus we
can be certain that this is the same bug.

All the best

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/