[pulseaudio-discuss] Why Gnome "System Sounds" is not a normal program?

Roman Beslik rabeslik at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 15:45:06 PST 2012

On 03.01.12 14:24, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Roman Beslik at 02/01/12 22:53 did gyre and gimble:
>> As far as I understand, PulseAudio uses an interesting strategy of
>> routing sound to several sound cards. Instead of selecting a sound card
>> in each client, a sound card is selected in a general program, e.g.
>> "pavucontrol."
> While applications can, in theory, provide their own GUIs to select
> sound devices, good HCI guidelines would dictate that they should not do
> this. Users should learn the one, single, central way to adjust sound
> related settings and not have to learn each and every individual sound
> producing application's menu hierarchy/configuration system to uncover
> the sound preference.
Indeed, this reasoning applies to desktop environments as well. Look:
While desktop environments can, in theory, provide their own programs to
select sound devices... Users should learn the one, single, central...
and so on. :)

Maintainers of Arch Linux (which I use) dropped "gnome-volume-control"
and AFAIK suggest "pavucontrol." See
And I have a hunch that "pavucontrol" will soon be default on all
distributions.