[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC] SSE-optimized sample-rate converter

Arun Raghavan arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 09:22:45 PST 2012

On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 21:09 -0600, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:
> > it seems SSE3 is required
>
> Indeed.
>
> > src/Makefile.am:
> > +libpulsecommon_ at PA_MAJORMINOR@_la_CFLAGS += -D__SSSE3__ -msse -msse2 -
> > msse3 -march=core2 -mfpmath=sse
> >
> > doesn't -msse3 imply -msse2/-msse?
>
> I honestly have no idea. The code was originally developed with ICC for
> atom, not sure what gcc needs.
> I tried to find a combination that would work first to focus on PulseAudio
> integration..
> The main problem I faced was to remove the -march flag, the code works with
> core2 or atom but that's neither elegant nor the right thing to do. Most
> likely other Intel folks will have an answer.

Hopefully the other Intel folks will have a better solution, but in the
mean time, the right solution to me seems to be to drop -march, put all
those CFLAGS in configure.ac, try to compile a segment of code with it,
and see if it all goes okay. So the actual enabling will only be done if
the CFLAGS actually work with whatever architecture has been selected
(presumably by CFLAGS being specified in configure command line).

I'll post some additional comments if any after going through the
patches. Do you prefer them on the list or on github?

Cheers,
Arun