[pulseaudio-discuss] RFC: default-fragments = 8 in default install

Kelly Anderson kelly at silka.with-linux.com
Mon Jan 16 12:22:48 PST 2012

Hi,

I was just wondering if there is any reason why PulseAudio couldn't be
changed to use default-fragments = 8 as the default.

The reason why I ask is that Wine/alsa is a total mess with
default-fragments = 4.  I've changed three different machines to
default-fragments = 8 and wine 1.3.37/alsa works just fine.  It seems to
me that if changing this setting doesn't break anything
significant, that it should probably become the default setting.

I previously used the wine/pulse patch and that seemed to work great.
They revamped audio in Wine 1.3.27 and the
wine/pulse patch is no longer valid.

If the default install used default-fragments = 8, it surely will cut
down on the number of Wine users that think
PulseAudio is broke.  Wine's developers seem to be adamantly apposed to
native Pulse support.

Regards,

Kelly Anderson