[pulseaudio-discuss] Nvidia hdmi passthrough patch

Arun Raghavan arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk
Thu Jan 19 19:44:33 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 17:09 +0800, Peter Humphreys wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I just found this post:
>
> https://tango.0pointer.de/pipermail/pulseaudio-discuss/2011-March/009291.html
>
> Is this relevant to HDMI passthrough to receivers IE: so the NVIDIA
> isn't decoding the audio stream, allowing the receiver to get DTS-HD MA,
> True HD, FLAC etc encoded streams and do the decoding on the receiver??
>
> Because at the moment I only get PCM on my receiver from the NVIDIA,
> where as in Windows 7 I can use powerdvd which passes through the signal
> for the receiver to decode, in Ubuntu I have no options to do that.

Adding to the replies so far, we have the infrastructure to support
these formats in PulseAudio (v1.0 onwards). However, we only support AC3
(Dolby Digital), E-AC3 (Dolby Digital Plus) DTS and MP3 at the moment.
This is mostly because these are the only ones anyone has gotten around
to being able to test.

Support for these formats is in VLC 1.1.12 and 1.2 if I remember
correctly, and should  available in the next release of GStreamer (=>
Totem, etc. will also be able to support it).

You need to explicitly specify what formats your receiver supports at
the moment, which can be done with recent pavucontrol or in the command
line using 'pactl set-sink-formats'.

Cheers,
Arun