[pulseaudio-discuss] raop module and audio data port

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jan 30 03:27:48 PST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Stephen at 08/01/12 14:35 did gyre and gimble:
> Colin Guthrie <gmane <at> colin.guthr.ie> writes:
>

>> 'Twas brillig, and Michael Pujos at 26/10/11 20:23 did gyre and gimble:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Looking at the raop module code, a TCP connection is made to the RTP
>>> audio data port
>>> (ie the server_port value returned by the Airplay server, usually port
>>> 6000).
>>> It was my understanding that this is a UDP port and every documentation
>>> I've read points to it being UDP.
>>> How can this work on an Airport Express ?  does it listen to both TCP
>>> and UDP connections on this port ?
>>
>> I can't remember the details as it's been ages since I looked at this
>> properly, but yeah, I guess it uses both udp and tcp.
>>
>> Col
>>

> Any chance you could also try UDP when opening a connection? Many other airplay
> devices are UDP-only.
>
> This would greatly help compatibility with other providers, including Shairplay
> and wireless speakers.

Interesting. I'm afraid I only have an (old) APEX device, so I've not
really got the ability to test much else.

I will try and see if I can enable udp mode on it, but it will be a stab
in the dark as to whether or not it supports other devices.

I have asked in the past that some manufacturers send me test equipment,
(on loan) but never had any takers on that front. Would be nice to try
and do that as that level of support for our work would certainly help
motivate me to do more.

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/