[pulseaudio-discuss] No source (typo, should be sound) from pulseaudio.. alsa is working fine though..

Shawn Ferris shawn.ferris at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 21:09:38 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Shawn Ferris <shawn.ferris at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>> Hi Shawn,

>> In the first case, is the sound going via PA or straight to dmix or
>> similar? Typical configurations of PA will set the 'default' alsa device
>> to the PulseAudio plugin for ALSA.

Ok.. now that I'm home, I don't have an /etc/asound.conf nor an
~/.asoundrc, so unless it's getting set someplace I don't know about,
I believe I'm routing through alsa with aplay.

>> When you run that command (and it's "playing"), can you paste the output
>> of "pacmd ls"? This might offer some clues.

I grabbed a 30 sec wav file this time, verified that I could still
hear it through aplay directly, and the captured the "pacmd ls" while
it was playing using this command:

paplay --device='alsa_output.platform-soc-audio.default-mapping-output'
--volume=65537 record.wav

And here's the output:

http://pastebin.com/diLJiquq

This is pa with the ucm patches.. I need to reset my environment, but
I plan to try again with vanilla pa too. (it will just take a few
hours to recompile everything)

>> Perhaps try using a fixed resampler in your daemon.conf file to test if
>> it's a float vs. fixed problem?

I tried speex-fixed-3 to no avail:

I: [pulseaudio] resampler.c: Using resampler 'speex-fixed-3'
I: [pulseaudio] resampler.c: Using s16le as working format.
I: [pulseaudio] resampler.c: Choosing speex quality setting 3.
D: [pulseaudio] memblockq.c: memblockq requested: maxlength=33554432,
tlength=0, base=4, prebuf=0, minreq=1 maxrewind=0
D: [pulseaudio] memblockq.c: memblockq sanitized: maxlength=33554432,
tlength=33554432, base=4, prebuf=0, minreq=4 maxrewind=0
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c: Created input 0 "record.wav" on
alsa_output.platform-soc-audio.default-mapping-output with sample spec
s32le 2ch 48000Hz and channel map front-left,front-right

Nor did 'trivial' have any affect.

>> So this is the sink volume + mute status, what about the stream itself?
>> It can also have a volume + mute too, so worth checking there as well.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this.. I mean, I understand what you're
> talking about, I'm just not sure I know how to look at this. Is there
> an example that you can give me?

Like I mentioned earlier.. I'm going to reset my environment back to a
clean slate. I've made many changes trying to debug this, so I wanna
make sure I haven't made things worse doing so. It's the same story
from a completely refresh build, but I wanna for sure go back to a
vanilla pa for now. I'll re-test once it's put back together.

Shawn