[pulseaudio-discuss] Compressed samples in the cache

Arun Raghavan arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 22:38:06 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 00:32 -0300, Flávio Ceolin wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I was digging into the pulse code and I didn't find support for
> compressed sample in the cache. Is it right ?
>
> So, if true, is desired to implement support for it ?

We spoke of this on IRC, but just to summarise: the sample cache
mechanism isn't really a good fit for this sort of use (mainly large
files that take memory in cache). Also, I'm pretty strongly against
bringing codec support into PA (SBC being the only exception, since it's
pretty much unavoidable).

-- Arun