[pulseaudio-discuss] ALSA sink stuck at 48kHz

Louis Opter kalessin at kalessin.fr
Thu Jul 19 23:26:34 PDT 2012

Hello,

I'm running PA 2.0 in system mode with an ALSA sink connected to an USB
DAC. The USB DAC supports all kind of playback formats and is working
well on ALSA with mpd (mpd is able to change the output format depending
on the file it's playing).

However with PA I'm restricted to 48kHz and –while it's working well for
movies– as soon as I try to play anything at 44.1kHz PA starts
re-sampling and that doesn't work well with my 400MHz mips CPU.

When I put:

default-sample-rate = 44100
alternate-sample-rate = 48000

in daemon.conf, PA outputs:

sink.c: Default and alternate sample rates are the same.

And sets the DAC to 48kHz. I also tried to specify the rate argument
with load-module but it didn't change anything.

If I put:

default-sample-rate = 48000
alternate-sample-rate = 44100

Then PA doesn't output the error message but never uses the alternate
sample rate.

I also tried to change the output format with pactl set-sink-formats but
only managed to segfault it (and I couldn't find any documentation for
the formats argument).

Before I start to look into the code, is there anything I overlooked
here?

Best regards

--
Louis Opter