[pulseaudio-discuss] GSoC status report VI

Ștefan Săftescu stefan.saftescu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 15:09:19 PDT 2012

Hello,

It is time for a new status report. Over the past week, I've managed to make the
notifications somewhat easier to use by module writers, by modifying the new and
free functions to handle all the fields of the notification struct.

This, along with some other minor changes also solved the warnings I had during
the compilation.

I've also included some of the module-switch-on-connect code for setting default
sinks/sources and moving streams around.

After a discussion I had with Colin and Tanuk on IRC a while ago, I have decided
to show notifications on a per-card basis rather than on a per-sink/source
basis. However, when a card put event occurs, the sinks/sources for the card
have not been created. This is fine when wating for the user to confirm what to
do about the card, because these would be created in the meantime, but if a
card has already been marked as default, when it is re-connected the user is
not notified, so there is no extra time for the sinks/sources to be created.

As a result, there is no sink or source on that card to be set as default, so
nothing useful happens.

I will discuss this with Colin on Wednesday, but in the meantime I will make the
(minor) modifications needed for the existing backend to work nicely with
Ubuntu's Notify OSD (which does not support user interaction). I will further
investigate if there is any possibility to create a Unity backend that provides
some sort of interaction.

Best,
Ștefan