[pulseaudio-discuss] Logging startup of the first instance...

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Mon Jun 4 06:04:04 PDT 2012

Sometimes I have users who complain about some problem, but after a
"pulseaudio -k" the problem is gone. Therefore asking them to restart
pulseaudio with -vvvv switch will not give any information about the error.

  * I could log to syslog (the default), but once I enable debug level
log, the syslog daemon can start to ratelimit, especially during the
startup phase of pulseaudio.

  * I could log to file, but then that file would quickly get
overwritten, as soon as pulseaudio restarts.

Is there a trick I'm missing here? Or would it be possible to add some
kind of expansion to the log file name to make the files unique?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic