[pulseaudio-discuss] master volume at zero and muted when pulseaudio starts

Frank Wilson fajwilson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 10:23:15 PDT 2012

Hi,

I have noticed that the master channel volume is set to zero and muted
when I login to gnome3 on my arch linux vm.

After looking at various things such as storing and restoring alsa
settings, I determined the volume settings get changed when pulseaudio
starts.

To fully isolate the cause I did a test with a bare non-graphical
login (no gnome session, no login manager, no other sound program).

Here is the session log:

[frank at flint ~]$ date
Mon Jun  4 18:03:26 BST 2012
[frank at flint ~]$ alsactl init 0 # reset my card, just to be sure
Found hardware: "ICH" "SigmaTel STAC9700,83,84" "AC97a:83847600"
"0x8086" "0x0000"
Hardware is initialized using a generic method
[frank at flint ~]$ speaker-test

<<<<< CAN HEAR SOUND >>>>>

[frank at flint ~]$ amixer -c0 > amixer.org
[frank at flint ~]$ pulseaudio --start -vvvvv
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup successful.
[frank at flint ~]$ speaker-test

<<<<< CANNOT HEAR SOUND! >>>>

[frank at flint ~]$ amixer -c0 > amixer.pulse

I attach amixer.org, amixer.pulse and pulse_syslog.log.gz (the
relevant portion of my syslog file, where pulseaudio has logged its
stuff).

Could anybody explain what is causing the problem and how I should go
about fixing it?

Thanks,

Frank